School Visits & Presentations for Kids
Contact me to schedule in-person or virtual visits for the 2021-2022 school year!
THE TRUE STORY OF A NONFICTION BOOK (Ideal for grades 3-5; 45-50 minutes)
- Ideas (Where they come from)
- Research (How to get started, keep organized, and know when to stop)
- The Vital Idea (Finding the spine of your story)
- The Writing Process (Why first drafts are supposed to stink and what to do when you’re stuck)
- Revision (Creating context, meaning, and emotion by using sensory details, vivid verbs, synonyms, and more)
- Feedback (How to make a Critique Sandwich––and how to eat one)
Students are able to ask questions after each segment and they’ll walk away with ideas they can use immediately to enhance their writing and research in class.
I’d be happy to participate in a virtual 20-minute Q&A with you and your students. I don’t charge a fee for this, but a minimum purchase of 10 copies of The Great Stink: How Joseph Bazalgette Solved London’s Poop Pollution Problem is required. Books can be purchased by the school or by individual parents from the bookstore of your choice.